There are huge char and trout fishing opportunities on both Jökla river system and Fögruhlíðará river and estuary throughout the season. This fishing runs from 1 June to 30 September. New for 2013 is first time offering accomodation with this fishing all season in a house close to the main salmon lodge. It has three bedrooms, one twin and two single, one bathroom, drying room, kitchen and big sitting room. Normally self-catering but food can be provided from the main lodge. Ideal for smaller groups who wants to have exklusive fishing for themselfes and accommodation as well.
Fishing is restricted to the lower half of the Fögruhlíðará river and the new upper part of the Jökla river since a fish pass was made in 2012 to ensure steady run of fish up there. And now we call this part Jökla II and it offer huge potential of new pools many miles up the river which have never been fished before! And salmon are also running up to these parts and good change of catching odd salmon as well.
Fögruhlíðará river where this pleasant stream meanders through the meadows and farmland of the lower valley. There are long, glassy pools where fish can be tempted with streamer or nymph, and when in the right frame of mind a delicate dry fly.The estuary is the most productive part of the fishing and gives best results as the tide ebbs and the shoals of char, and some sea-trout, drop back with the water. Sport can be fast and furious with many an exciting chase and boil from the fish before he hits the fly. The secret here is to strip fast, as fast as you can!
- 2012 catch: 446 char, 87 trout (including sea-trout)
- Season: 1 to 30 June
- Fishing hours: Maximum 12-hours per day but flexible fishing hours.
- Price: $200-500 per rod/per day
- Methods allowed: Fly, spinner and bait
- Popular flies: White Nobbler, Orange Nobler, and Orange Krafla for char. Black Ghost and various streamers for trout.
- Accommodotion in the main salmon Lodge in June, after that in a nearby house with three bedrooms, drying room, one bathroom, big sitting room and a kitchen. Simple but comfortable accomodation and normally on self-catering basis but full board can be provided. Also is possible to stay in a guesthouse in the vicinity, specially for bigger groups more than 3-4 persons coming.